Monday, June 27, 2011

Sensitivity Training

I had just come in from doing some weeding in my front garden. While getting a drink of water, I felt something on the back of my neck. As I went to scratch it, I found a miniscule little tick --no bigger than the head of a straight pin. I was immediately (well, after I got rid of it!) struck by the wonderful ability we have as human beings; our ability to perceive something out of place on ourselves. The fact that out of every square inch of our bodies, we can tell when something so small is on us and that we can pinpoint its whereabouts and remove it. What an amazing thing skin is! 

“I will praise You because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; Your works are wonderful, that I know full well.”
(Ps. 139:14)

Most of the time, this immediate reaction is a good thing. I was certainly glad I picked up quickly on the fact that I had a little hitchhiker on me. Being sensitive, in the natural, is a blessing from God. However, as usually happens, things in the natural are usually God’s way of pointing us into some direction He wants to talk to us about.

So, what can we learn from this sensitive skin that we’re in?

Two opposing things, really:
That we should be sensitive --sensitive to the physical needs of those around us, sensitive to the feelings of others, sensitive to the need to reach people with the good news of the Gospel --that God has a good plan for them and has provided everything they need through Jesus‘ sacrifice. I wasn’t exactly looking for that little critter when I felt him on my neck; but I was sensitive to the fact that he was there and needed “tending to.” In this same way, we need to be ready when something is “pointed out” to us. Do you have extra in your pantry for someone? Do you have a ready word of encouragement for someone going through a rough time? Can you pray for someone to see the love of God in their life?
 
That we should NOT be sensitive --this is where being “thick-skinned” is a good thing. What is your reaction when people let you down? When something is said to you that is a little (or a lot!) hurtful? When you plan something and it doesn’t turn out the way you’d hoped it would? Do you immediately shut-down? Do you lash out with insult or a hurtful word as a coping mechanism? Or maybe just have a good old-fashioned pity party? Hey, we’ve all been there, but we should be constantly striving to fall into God’s will of conforming to the image of Christ (Rom 8:29). I can’t really see Jesus having done any of the other three J But the Holy Spirit can help us in our weaknesses and He can make us thick-skinned when we need to be. You see, I had a choice when I felt that little sniggly feeling on the back of my neck. I could have either reached back there and felt that something was there out-of-the-ordinary and picked it up, OR I could have chosen to ignore it, go along my merry way, and continue with life as usual. What did Jesus do the night he was betrayed by all his friends? He still loved them, spoke not a word against them, and carried out the Father’s will anyway.

“Love does not insist on its own rights or its own way; for it is not self-seeking; it is not touchy or fretful or resentful; it takes no account of the evil done to it [it pays no attention to a suffered wrong].”
 
--I Cor. 13:5 (b)
Gee, all this talk of bugs and creepy-crawlies has me itchy…..bug-spray, anyone?
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment