Friday, June 17, 2011

Reinventing the Wheel

Got into one of our “memory boxes” recently to gather some items for a display we’re putting together for Lovely #3’s grad party this weekend. In addition to pictures, some old artwork, and all kinds of greeting cards, I also stumbled across several old diaries of mine. I had started writing a diary when my oldest daughter was a baby; I wanted her (and any additional kids we might have had after!) to know what it was like to be a young mom, and to record various memories of living in the late 20th century and into the new millennium. I took a few moments a read some excerpts; I looked for dates close to when we had had our other children and was taken back in time to those precious years of young parenting. I also looked at September 11, 2001 and some days after to remind myself of that fateful time in our nation’s history.

It got me thinking; diaries are a wonderful way to capture time. And isn’t blogging and social networking sites just a modern way of doing the same thing? Don’t we love to write what’s going on in our lives and share the latest with everyone we know? Granted, bloggers love to use their creative side to write things in a more entertaining way than just a standard diary entry, but the effect is the same all over the internet. You get to peek into someone’s life to see what they’re doing, how they’re doing it, and hopefully glean a little insight for yourself --learn from someone else’s experiences (good OR bad!).


And then that got me further thinking; aren’t the Gospels kinda like that? Aren’t they little windows of time, recording the goings-on of one Man, told from various viewpoints? Don’t we get to peek into Someone’s life to see what He did, how He did it, and hopefully glean a little insight for ourselves?

Yeah, right…..a “little” insight….. :)

Can you just imagine how Matthew, Mark, or Luke would have used social networking today? They would be on the cutting-edge, I just know it. And don’t even get me started on John --he would have had the #1 blog on the internet; his creative spin on the story of Jesus’ life would be THE buzz of the internet, for sure.

Yes, yes, we living in the 21st century with all this “new” technology sure have it all figured out, don’t we?

…..we just came a little late to the party, is all…..

No comments:

Post a Comment