Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Quite Unconventional

A possible backstory of John the Baptist:

“Um…..you wanna do what?”

“Yeah, my plan is to go out to the wilderness and live there for a while. When I’m there long enough, people will start coming out to see why I’m there. Then I’m gonna--”

“But, but, your father --he’s a priest! You’re supposed to follow him in line --an angel visited us and told us!”

“But that’s what I’m trying to explain --I’m gonna let them know that they need to repent of their sins. I’ll give them an object lesson by pouring water over them in the Jordan River --it will like, let’em know that they’ve started fresh with God. --cool, right?”

“Yes, cool. But what will you eat? What will you wear when your clothes wear out? How will you survive?”

Ah, parenting. It’s great, no? I don’t think it’s changed much since ancient times; I’m sure that every parent wonders if all the stuff they’ve laid down in their kids while raising them will actually come to fruition when the time comes for those kids to start making life decisions on their own. I know I have.

We’ve raised our Lovelies to be out-of the-box thinkers, to be one to carve out her own way in the world. Their life decisions may not be the norm, they may not be what “looks” right to the rest of the world; but if I am truly wanting them to try out their wings and see what is the best that God has for them, then I must summon up the courage to stand on the sidelines and let them attempt flight.

The Lord reminded me recently that I am raising unconventional kids for an unconventional purpose. I cannot be concerned with what other people think, what it looks like, or when it will be “successful” in the eyes of the world. I have to be willing to live by one of the phrases I’ve given my girls over the years: “If it’s alright with you, and it’s alright with God, then it’s alright.” I guess that’s my paraphrase of Colossians 3:15:

“And let the peace (soul harmony which comes) from Christ rule (act as umpire continually) in your hearts [deciding and settling with finality all questions that arise in your minds, in that peaceful state] to which as [members of Christs’s] one body you were also called [to live]. And be thankful (appreciative), [giving praise to God always].”

….I wonder if Zachariah and Elizabeth ever had to remind themselves of this same thing…..

No comments:

Post a Comment